What is Rezūm
Rezūm uses the natural thermal energy stored in water vapor, or steam, to treat the enlarged prostate tissue that causes BPH symptoms such as frequency, urgency, irregular flow, weak stream, straining and getting up at night to urinate.
The water vapor is delivered into the targeted prostate tissue and when the vapor contacts the tissue it condenses, releasing the stored thermal energy, causing the obstructive prostate tissue cells to die.
Over the next few weeks, the body’s natural healing response eliminates the treated tissue, shrinking the prostate. With the extra tissue removed, the urethra opens, reducing BPH symptoms and improving the patient’s quality of life.
Rezūm is a transurethral RF thermal therapy that heats sterile water into vapor (steam), and delivers the vapor into targeted areas of tissue. As the vapor condenses back to its liquid state, a vast amount of stored thermal energy is released into the tissue to heat and kill the tissue cells. Over time, this ablated tissue is almost completely absorbed by the body’s natural healing response, reducing the volume of tissue.
Animation of the Rezum treatment
The treatment inside the prostate
This was filmed during a procedure carried out by Professor Hindley.
Benefits of Rezūm
- Potential alternative to BPH medications
- Relieves symptoms safely and effectively
- Provides noticeable symptom improvement within two weeks
- Simple in-office/out-patient therapy
- Does not require general anesthesia
- Preserves sexual and urinary functions
- Allows patients to return to regular activities within a few days